Still on intermission, but I just read a post about einkorn cookies at According To Hoyt. I had never heard of “einkorn” and I don’t want to lose the recipe, so copying it here.
Einkorn Thumbprint Cookies
From: Dorothy Grant
1 stick butter
1/4 cup sugar (52 grams)
1 egg yolk
1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
1.25 cups all-purpose einkorn flour (145 grams)
1/2 tsp salt
jam (or marmalade for more awesome!)
1. Preheat oven to 35
2. Slap some parchment paper on a baking tray
3. In a large bowl, stick the butter in the microwave to soften. Mine half-melted, and came out fine.
4. Cream/Mix the butter and sugar together, then add in egg yolk, lemon juice, and salt. Mix until smooth.
5. Break out the kitchen scale and tap in flour if you do weight. This stuff is finicky enough about moisture I actually do that. Otherwise, scoop and dump the flour and whisk it all together (or use a mixer; whatever floats your boat. These are not supposed to be stressful to make.)
6. Grab a spoon and dust your hands with einkorn flour, then start rolling the dough into balls. At the size I rolled, just under ping-pong sized, I got 11 cookies. Remember they are going to be smashed, and then spread further while cooking, so leave space. Re-flour your hands frequently to prevent sticky dough sticking.
7. Keeping your thumb dusted, make a… thumbprint. Or a cross. Or whatever design kicks over your gigglebox, as long as it doesn’t make the bottom of the jamwell too thin for cookie integrity.
8. Spoon jam into the depression, in quantities just small enough it won’t overflow.
9. Bake for 12-19 minutes, until golden brown. If you like tiny cookies, 12 will do. If you like large cookies, just keep careful eye on ’em once past 14 minutes.
10. When you pull them out, set the timer for 8 minutes, and do not, no matter how tempting, give in to poking the cookies before it goes off. You just pulled boiling sugar out of the oven, and it’ll stick like napalm to the roof of your mouth with great burnination if you don’t let it cool!
11. When cool enough, grab a drinkable and enjoy!