It’s not that I didn’t follow the recipe. Well, actually it is. The ingredient list is the same, but here’s what I actually did:
1 cup sugar (small)
3/4 cup shortening
Grated rind and juice of 1 orange
3 cups flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
It may have been a bit less than 3 cups of flour. I just kept adding it until the consistency seemed right. My clue was the mixer started making “this is too thick to stir” noises.
I wanted to use parchment paper, but I found out that the box I moved from Denver had about two turns of paper around the internal tube, so that idea was out. Spray grease worked fine.